return to homepage

Interesting Facts About The Sun

The sun, our closest star, is 109 times wider that Earth. Learn more fascinating facts about the sun.

facts about the sun

Fascinating Facts About The Sun

Ready to learn some quick facts about the sun? Here we go!

You'll also find detailed information about solar energy in the links below the article if you want.

  • The Sun is the closest star to Earth.

  • For a star, the Sun is considered to be middle aged.

  • The Sun was formed over four and a half billion years ago.

  • The Sun will keep shining for at least another five billion years.

  • While the sun does not have enough mass to become a supernova or collapse directly into a black hole after its life span of 10 billion years, it will instead become a red giant in about 5 billion years. At that point, the radius of the sun is likely to reach beyond Earth's current position in space. However, since the sun has by then lost some 30% of its weight, the planets' orbits will have moved outwards due to the loosened gravitational pull, possible preventing the Earth from being swallowed by the sun. However, new research suggests that Earth will be swallowed anyway due to tidal interactions between Earth and the sun's surface. Well, no species is likely to be here to know the answer anyway.

  • In about one billion years, Earth may not be a possible place to live in anymore, because by then the sun will have heatened up enough to boil up all water on Earth, hence eliminating all life.

  • We call the sun's surface the photosphere. The surface comprise of large convection cells of gas called granules. These cells have a life span of 8 mintues.

  • The temperature of the sun's surface is about 10,000 Fahrenheit (5,500 Celsius). The temperature of the sun's core, or middle, is about 27 million Fahrenheit (15 million Celcius)!

  • The diameter of the sun is about 870,000 miles wide.

  • The Sun is 109 times wider than Earth, and 333,000 times heavier than the Earth.

  • Our solar system is actually made up almost completely of the sun, which accounts for about 99.86%. The remaining 0.14% comprise of all the planets, the smaller solar system bodies, dust et cetera.
  • It takes sunlight approximately 8 minutes to reach earth from 93,000,000 miles away. This is because sunlight travels at a speed of 186,282 miles per second.

  • The sun is primarily responsible for our weather patterns and ocean currents.

  • Pollution, cloud cover and wind can all inhibit the sun's light from reaching earth.

More Solar Power Info


Return to Facts About Solar Energy
Return from Facts About The Sun to Solar For Energy Home

More Solar Power Info


Stay Updated

Add to Google
Add to My Yahoo!
Add to My MSN
Add to Newsgator
Subscribe with Bloglines

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

| Homepage | About us | Disclaimer and privacy policy |Contact us |

Copyright© 2009-2011. All rights reserved. Please read our disclaimer before using this site.

Return to top

Return to top
Copyright© 2009-2010. All rights reserved.